On 1 August 2014 following the commencement of the Industrial Development (Forfás Dissolution) Act 2014. Forfas’ policy functions were integrated with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
Forfás was Ireland’s policy advisory board for enterprise, trade, science, technology and innovation.
Forfás was established in 1994 as an agency of the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.
Forfás' policy functions were to:
- Provide independent and rigorous research, advice and support in the areas of enterprise and science policy.
This work informed the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and wider Government in its responses to the fast-changing needs of the global business environment;
- Ensure the coherence of policies across the development agencies supporting enterprise;
- Evaluate enterprise policy interventions;
- Provide research and administrative support to independent advisory groups including the:
Additional functions included:
- Accreditation services of the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB). Since 1 August 2014, INAB has been integrated with the Health & Safety Authority.
- Provision of certain shared corporate services for IDA Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and Science Foundation Ireland.
To contribute to the future success of Ireland’s economy as an agency of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, by providing ambitious, coherent and widely understood enterprise and science policy advice that supports growth.